Thursday, March 8, 2007

Chatting Someone Up: At the Gym

A friend of mine in Singapore recently got chatted up by a member of her Gym. She relayed the conversation to me -

PT: Are you a personal trainer?
Me: What?
PT: Was just wondering if you're a personal trainer or a member.
Me: I'm a member.
PT: Do you need my help with anything?
Me: No I'm fine.
PT: So how long have you been a member of this gym?
Me: About a year and a half.
PT: What are your aims coming to the gym?
Me: What? (the dude's english was pretty bad)
PT: Your goals in coming to the gym.
Me: I just wanna workout after work.
PT: Oh ok so you just want to stay in shape? Where do you work?
Me: I'm in the shipping industry.
PT: How long have you been working there?
Me: Almost two years.
PT: How do you find your work? Is it very interesting?
Me: Work is great.
PT: So how old are you?
Me: How old do I look?
PT: 28?
Me: I'm 25.
PT: Oh ok. So does your boyfriend agree with you coming to the gym?
Me: WHAT???
PT: Does your boyfriend know that you come to the gym? Some guys don't like their girlfriends coming to the gym.
Me: (lying) He doesn't mind, he's very open-minded.
PT: Oh that's very good, that your boyfriend is open-minded.
Me: Yes it is.
PT: So how often do you come to the gym?
Me: Well whenever I have the time.
PT: You work 5-day weeks?
Me: Yes.
PT: So two days off every week.
Me: ... Yes...
PT: What else do you do in your free time?
Me: I go out.
PT: Oh yeah ok. Do you think I can have your number?
Me: NO.
PT: I just want to get to know you better.
Me: Seriously, no.
PT: I know you don't want to give me your number because you might be afraid that I will pass it on to other people. But I won't do that.
Me: I don't give my number to anyone. It's my policy.
PT: Oh ok.
Me: Yup.
PT: I guess I'll leave you to your workout then. Sorry for disturbing you!
Me: It's alright. See ya.

I thought this could serve as a reminder that lousy chat up lines just don't work, and never will.

No comments: